Every time we have to upgrade car seats, our attempt at installation is always an epic fail. I pour over the directions but still can’t seem to get that dang thing in there snug. So kiddos definitely don’t go in them.
Luckily for us, Western Pennsylvania has a great program called PA TECHS. I’m not entirely sure what it stands for, but I know that they schedule appointments to help parents make sure that their car seat is installed properly, and that they know how to get their little ones buckled up correctly. With 90% of car seats installed incorrectly, it truly is a great public service. And they do these car seat safety checks for free.
The instructional appointments are done by police officers at different stations in the area. They’re usually booked solid, though, so if you can, it would be a good idea to make your appointment a bit in advance. ESPECIALLY if you’re pregnant and are working with an unpredictable deadline.
Here’s the stations that do it and the numbers to call. If you need further assistance scheduling an appointment you can call PA TECHS and they will help you out.
- Baldwin Borough Police Department (412) 881-1300
- Pittsburgh Bureau of Police (West End Circle) (412) 937-3051 (They’re unavailable till mid-August as of now.)
- Moon Twp Police Department (412) 262-5000
- North Versailles Twp Police Department (412) 823-1111
- Ohio Twp Police Department (412) 364-4338
- West Deer Twp Police Department (724) 265-1100